Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Whole Student?

I was having a conversation with my mother the other day, and she was telling me about how the school system is going downhill in the city where I'm from.  This didn't surprise me, as I used to teach in that nightmare.

She started telling me about how this one school fired its whole staff: principal, assistant principal, teachers, admin, cafeteria staff, janitors, everybody.  They literally fired the whole staff.

It was at this point I asked my mother, "Are they planning on firing the whole student?"  She laughed, but I was serious.  You wanna sit here and fire the whole staff, when you really need to fire the whole student.  They are the ones who refuse to complete or turn in homework.  They are the ones who come unprepared to class.  They are the ones who are multiple grade levels behind.  They are the ones who raise pure hell and won't allow the teacher to teach.  People have no idea what teachers are up against these days.

Until they fire the whole student, the system will never change.  One day, one of my students told me, "Ms. McKenzie, my homie lived ignorant, he died ignorant, and imma be ignorant, too!"  Outstanding.  Now you sit here and you pass this standardized test?

Let's give credit where credit is due, and spread that blame proportionately, with a healthy share going to those lazy little bastards, who truly make teaching a miserable endeavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment